Friday, June 22, 2012

Lets talk about Entitlement

This may turn into a rant
Because really of all the things that bug me these days about Americans, and more importantly Christians in America is the sense of entitlement.  I mean just look around.  You'll see so many people talking in the form of entitlement.  "I graduated from college I should have a better paying job."  "I work hard, why do I only get paid x.xx an hour?" "I've been at this Church since I was a kid, worship service should be the way I want it." and on and on it goes.  We sit there and talk like anything we get, or want, we are entitled to.  Down to even feeling that we are entitled to having a job.

How would any of us ever stay alive 
In the days when we had to work the land to stay alive.  When you were entitled to nothing. When weather could change your whole year, decade, or even life. But today we sit around and act like air conditioning, a TV, a car, and a job are all things that we should have.  We act like the great economy in America is something everyone has, always, had.

Something seems wrong
When Christian people are leading the way when it comes to this view of entitlement. We talk how things "should be" or how "they were" like that is the way it should be.  The thing to me that's so baffling is the fact the we as Christian people live are lives as Christians under something called grace which is so far from entitlement that I don't understand how we all have ended up being so entitled.

So here we have grace and entitlement
Two differing ideas. On the one side we have entitlement which says I deserve this because I am American, a person, a College grad, etc.  Grace on the other hand is something given to us from God that we don't deserve and can't earn.  Grace is something the we aren't entitled to.  So maybe Christians who live in America we should spent less time talking about what we deserve and spend more time talking about what we don't deserve.... Grace. 

(Once again let me know what you think.  I have more to say about this but am out of time tonight. Thanks guys!)

No comments:

Post a Comment