Monday, February 4, 2013

Thoughts on American Culture... Or Thoughts on the Superbowl

Yesterday was the day I have started to call "The Fattest day on earth"
Also known as Superbowl Sunday.  This is the day when all of America has a reason to eat tons of fattening snack food and pizza and Taco Bell and.... etc. all in the name of watching a sporting event that, I would guess, less the 50 percent of the people at, any given, party really care about.  I know that I spent 90% of the game playing card games and chess. In fact I was so disinterested in the game that I did not know about the 'blackout' until the game was seconds away from starting again.

But I still looked up from Cards enough times to find a few things out about America
I already knew these things but this just drove the nail that much deeper in to the board.  I would guess that if you watched the game you noticed these things too because I only looked up here and there and these thoughts were driven so deep into my brain I my never get them out.  Even worst they were seen in so many places though out the night that you could never over look them.

1. Objectification is in vogue. 
Never in my life have I fully processed how much the world tries to devalue people.  The crazy thing about this is that everyone is up for some objectification and devaluing, it doesn't matter how famous you are you are not safe from being devalued.  And heaven forbid if you are good looking because if you are than the only thing you are good for is your body.  If you don't believe that this message was being sent then I invite you to go watch the Go Daddy add with Bar Rafaeli or if the simple objectification is already so firmly planted in you brain go watch the Samsung add about the next thing which involves two famous people talking like fools and then they find out that there is a bigger "next big thing" and his name is Lebron James....

2. Budweiser will use ANY means to sell a few more beers
And cue Budweiser house add!  I mean come on!  Its cute and all but you are selling beer?!?!?! Crappy beer at that and you will go to the point of trying to make people cry in order to sell beer?  Way to go Budweiser you will win add of the year awards by being the first beer company to make people cry. 

3.  People will hate you just because they want to hate you
Last night Beyonce was the half time show.  And as much as I don't really like her music I can at least see she has talent.  I mean anyone who can sing that well and dance that well not long after having a child is something special.  But yet people were more than willing to hate Beyonce for no real reason.  I mean sure she could have had more clothes on or she could have done less 'sexual' dances but the lady song beautifully and she did what any good half time show does she had you watching.  Even if you hate her you, yes you, were watching.

So whats the point of me writing this?
I guess the reason I write this is because as I sat around "watching" the game I was struck by how much the messages of the adds and half time show were running in the opposite direction of what God calls us to live out.  I guess that is really the whole thought.  We are called to live here on earth in a way that is Counter-Cultural.  We are called to Love people even when we may not like them.  We are called not to sell God by any means but rather to Follow Him.  And we are for sure called to value people more than Culture today values anyone.

So lets go and find a way to live Counter-Cultural lives..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment