Saturday, March 23, 2013

I Am strong enough....

(I won't give up on us, God knows I'm tough enough and God knows we're worth it.... Jason Mraz)

The other day I read this a Twitter
And since Twitter is always a great place to find quick little thoughts like this that, often, seem very true, I simply read it and moved on like it was a normal simple thought.  Also the fact that it was posted by a Christian friend who I trust greatly and the fact that the picture that went with it was of her Church worship service led me to simply agree with the idea behind this quote and move on.  


But here is the problem this quote is just plan wrong
God knows I'm tough enough?  Since when does God give a damn about how tough I am? If God was planning on letting me get away with only doing what I was tough enough to handle I would never do anything of any meaning for his Kingdom. If God only give us what we could handle, be tough enough for, than I question if God even exists because if I can handle everything than why do I need God?  If there is not a deep need in my life for God why would God even be there?  If I can handle everything in life, if I'm tough enough for all of this, than I would guess I am pretty close to being a god.

At this point even I feel like I am saying crazy stuff
So here is what I am thinking.  God doesn't give us stuff we can handle.  He doesn't say "Oh, you are tough enough for this". He says "I'm going to give you more than you could ever handle, I'm going to breaking down any toughness you think you have and leaving you broken on the floor if you believe you can handle anything." And after he says that he will keep going and say "However if you are willing to see that you cannot handle life, that what I throw at you is, in fact, more than you can handle, I promise to be there for you and walk through the good and bad times with you because the I Am is strong enough to handle this"

Now think about that for a second.......
What keeps us held back, I believe, is not the stuff going on around us but rather the fact that we believe we can handle it.  What keeps us from living the life God wants us to (and I am the worst of sinners when it comes to this) is believing, for even a second, that we are tough enough to handle it.

When I take the situations around me and say "Don't worry God I got this!"
I am done.  There is no hope for me.  I am like a man who jumped off a boat having no idea how to swim and having been to dumb to take something that floats with me, I am without a doubt dead!  But if I look to Jesus I will surely walk on water.  But once I start believing I have it under control I will once again be lost at sea.

I pray God will give me more than I could ever hope to handle and then grab my hand and say "I got this son.  Just keep your eyes on me and I will take you through all of this because I AM is strong enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment