Saturday, January 19, 2013

Let's Risk the Ocean....

I have never lived close to the Ocean
but I've been to the ocean many times, well the beach anyways.  I mean I've gone swimming in the ocean, on both coasts of America, and I've even been out, a little ways anyways, on to the ocean on a sail boat.  I mean I know the ocean a little.  I have always had tons of fun when close to the ocean.  I fully plan on living at least some of my life close to the ocean.  I want to be able to learn how to surf before I am to old to even consider surfing. I want to be able to hang out on the beach whenever I want and just enjoy the sun.

But since I've never been out on the ocean I forget
I forget that the ocean is a scary place.  There are things about the ocean the frighten me.  Sharks, Stingrays, Waves and Current, to name a few, and like hell if I'm ever gonna head out to sea on a Shrimp boat like from those reality TV shows.  Because that isn't what I want.  I don't want the risk of the ocean I want the fun.  I want to be able to walk on the beach and enjoy the sunny days well only braving the ocean far enough out that I can still clearly see the shore, and the safety of land.  I sure never want to see the scary parts of the ocean, I mean come on I was meant for land not water.  The thought of not being able to see land scares me to no end, to the point of panic, because land is safety to me.  I know and understand land.  Its rare that, where I live anyways, earthquakes makes the ground move and swim around me.  Hurricanes by the time they get to where I live are nothing more than big thunderstorms.  Sure we deal with snow and cold, rain and wind, but I can always stay inside to avoid these things....

But on the Ocean risk is ever at your side
Everything you do is a risk.  Even on the nicest of days at sea (from what little I know about shipping) is a scary thing.  At anytime a large storm could pop up and send you into a life or death situation.  And any moment the calmness of the sea could change and your ship could be getting rocked by massive waves.  And at any moment you could fall of the ship and drowned before you ever see land again. And that is a scary thought.

But I believe we are called out to the sea
We are called to live an adventure not just a normal life.  We are called to step out on the ocean and live with our lives in God's hands trusting that he will keep us safe as the ocean around us rocks us to and fro.  But so often we walk the beach saying to God "I'm by the ocean, isn't that enough?"  And from time to time we dip our toe in the water and say "Look I got in to the sea!" And if we are really crazy we head out for a swim or even to surf some waves back toward dry ground and we say "Look how far I made it out to sea this time God!"

But God wants more
He doesn't just want me to get into the water he wants me to head out to sea, to the scary, panic inducing, none stop adventure of the ocean. He calls you to risk the ocean with him and be sure he will keep you safe.  But then just when you think "Okay God, I got this!" he says "Good, now jump out of the boat and trust that I will keep you safe."

Life with God is far from the beach
Sure he calls us back to the beach in the right time to rest and recover from the scars of our time at sea; but the beach is not where God wants us to live he wants us to live a great adventure with him that will surely involve risk, pain, and heartache but will also involve joy, peace, and fulfillment.... and most importantly Love and Grace.  Time to get off the beach!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment