Friday, January 11, 2013

Married people bug me!

Married Christians annoy me!  
Don't get me wrong I love them and have some great friends who are married but they still annoy me, a lot.  The reason being it always seems like married Christians can only talk to singles about marriage in one of two ways... either they tell you how much it sucks or they tell you how amazing it is.  There never seems to be an in between.   

Let's unpack the two ways married people talk to singles about marriage.  
First they tell how much it sucks. For example I have a friend who says 'no one who doesn't have kids is allowed to be tired'  and I'm like 'hmmm last I checked I feel tired and I don't have kids?'. Or the husband who ALWAYS talks about his wife as 'the boss' or 'the ball and chain'.  I mean come on guys!!! We can do better than this! And women do this thing stuff!  like how some women Alway talk about there husband like he's a child... come on ladies that stopped being funny the first time you did it!  
Then there is the 'every thing about marriage is the most amazing thing ever!' people.  You know these people right?  The people who always act like your life has no meaning unless you are married because marriage is the pinnacle of life and that that is when life starts.   These people say stuff like 'oh you're such a nice guy you should get married!' Ummm Thanks!  Trying, its not that easy.  I mean I'm happy that God sent you an amazing person to live the rest of your life with but so far God's been blessing me with being single!

So whats the point of me writing this?
I'm not trying to sit here and hate on married people.  I really am happy for you that you found an amazing person to live you life with.  I just think you can do better.  I think married people can have better relationships with singles than I see so often inside the Church. I mean can we still be friends?  Can't you still be honest with me?  Or is marriage some kind of secret club that I can't join until I get married?  Can you not remember when you were single?

I guess all I'm asking for is a little understanding
And a little help and guidance.  I mean maybe some time you should tell me how you found your bride/husband.  Or tell me that marriage is hard but its all worth it because you are with your great love.  Just be honest with me.  Tell me the truth about marriage.  Don't act like because you found your great love that it is easy, trust me its not!  And finally please don't act like there is something wrong with me because I'm single.  The writer of most of the New Testament, Paul, was never married and he seem like he did some pretty great things.  Singleness is in fact a blessing because I get to spend more time serving God.  So finally please just be honest with me!  And understand my life is tough too just for different reasons.

(I know some great couples who are my friends and honest to me so don't think I'm talking about everyone but there have been times when I have had a hard time finding married couples who would be honest with me about the greatness and toughness of the married life and I believe we can all do better.)   

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to figure out if I fit into one of these to categories and if I do, which one? It's funny cause I'm married but some of the points you made about married couples I still think even though I'm already married.
    One of the things that bug me the most about couples is that it always seems like the moment they get married that the suddenly become completely unavailable.
    I also hate it when married couples only hang out with other married couples. Then once a couple has a kid then they only hang out with other couples that have a kid.
    Also once you/if you get married, then all people ever ask you is "when are you going to have a kid?" Every couple with a kid tells you that life isn't complete until you have a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristen. Sorry I forgot to respond till now. Yeah I guess I would say all married people fall into both categories at times. If you are trying to avoid the extremes then I'd say you're doing the right thing.

    I know what you mean about married couples falling off the earth once they get married or have kids... that one never made any sense to me either. More to come on the "When are you going to have kids" idea this weekend hopefully, well once I have a chance to write again.

    ReplyDelete